Thursday, January 9, 2014

So This is a Bing Stove!

Thursday, January 10, 2014
             (Very Cold and Cloudy)


So This is a Bing Stove!


   If you read my blog on a regular basis, you're probably wondering why I have the Uruguay flag below the title of today's post. I got an e-mail From Mr. Marcel from Uruguay 2 days ago. He has a nice Bing stove for sale, and wanted to know what I could estimate the item at. I couldn't because I'm no expert on toys, and there are a lot of factors to consider when pricing. Examples are missing parts, condition of the item, the current market compared to last year or even 5 years ago, and so forth.

   Nevertheless, Marcelo had sent me some excellent photos of details of the Bing stove that I was fascinated with. I always thought that these stoves (even the American ones) were "toys". But Marcelo's photos showed that this item was a working model of a "real" stove. I asked Marcelo to send a few more photos and he did, and so I decided to post today just on this one toy! 

   I couldn't find any stoves in my New Cavendish Books reproduction of the  the Bing 1912 Catalogue. However, I would estimate this stove to be from about that time.



The stove covers are missing, and I wrote Marcelo asking if someone makes replacement lids.
The back of the oven is a heat reflector from the wall, and also acts as a holder for pots.

The 4 nickel-plated ( I think they're nickel) are for opening the oven.
Inside there are small burners with wicks, that probably would be filled with alcohol.

The 2 small cranks or knobs to the right view of the stove are to adjust or close the wick areas so that any "fire" is put out.

From this camera angle,you can actually see the rounded covers that are over the wicks.

The 4 round openings would have round covers on them and they would be used for direct heating.
The oval opening to the left would be for heating. 

Notice the flat metal surface that is over the 5th heating element (wick). That would be for placing dishes or small pots for milder warming,rather than direct heating.


In this photograph, you can actually see the the 5 wicks and the assembly for the fuel.
This is a serious stove! The knobs on the right side could be turned to cover the wicks and put out the fires.



Another view of the front of the stove. The handle that goes around 3/4 of the stove protects the cook from getting burned from the stove. As well, when the fire was closed, towels could be hung to dry out.




A back photograph of the stove.

The left sid elf the stove, with the back reflector removed and placed on the stove top.


AUthentic pans and a cover for the stove.
I don;t know what the blue item is.




2 Different views to present 2 of the stove's dimensions.
The from width measures about 400 mm ( 15 3/4"), while the side (depth) measures 
about 270mm or 10 5/8". I'm sure this toy stove was also quite heavy!

Thanks to Marcelo,my new found guest from Uruguay, I now appreciate this Bing toy stove, that actually could be used to cook!

Delicious!

Thanks for visiting,
and have a great part of the day or night,
wherever you may be.
Stacey
toysearcher@gmail.com






No comments: