Sunday, January 12, 2014

Another Fine Lincoln Toy From Maine

Sunday January 12, 2014


Another Fine Lincoln Toy From Maine

   Several days ago, I discovered that there was a great Canadian toy company by the name of the Lincoln Toy Company. It existed from 1946-1959 and made some fine pressed steel toys. My post of a few days ago was from a fellow Canadian who preferred to be low key (no need to be identified), and so I wrote about his fine toys, but didn't mentioned who he is.

  He has a great collection which I'll be adding soon, but I decided to search further. Lo and behold, there were American sellers who were selling Lincoln toys on E-Bay. I didn't think our fine Canadian Lincoln toys would venture south of the border (into the USA), but they did! All of a sudden I saw several sellers having Lincoln toys for sale on ebay, and so  I typed up my request letters and thought I'd have to wait several days.

  Sometimes however, I get a reply right away or within a few hours, and I did. Mr. Ronald Michaud from Maine, USA wrote to say I could use his photos. I's seen other great toy photos of his, but had written about the Lincoln toy that he was offering on  ebay . Ron sells some very fine toys, and I'll be posting later next week about him and his fine toys. However, for today, I decided to present his Lincoln Cement Mixer for today's post.


Ron knew a lot about the Lincoln Toy Company, and so I simply decided to quote him directly. 

" Lincoln Toys was founded in 1946 by a father and son as a division of their Windsor Steel Company. Located in Walkerville, Ontario, Canada, they specialized in pressed steel trucks. By 1953, the company offered a variety of 24 different vehicles including dump trucks ,construction equipment.a Massey-Harris 44 tractor, and a rare airplane. 
 The company was in business until 1958.


For the cement mixer description, Ron wrote:

" Original Lincoln Ready Mix Concrete Truck with rotating hand crank drum and dump lift lever. COmpletely operational with very good colour and decals. Minor wear as seen in pictures. This interesting truck is 13 inches long"

13"  = 330 mm

I like Ron's style of photography, but I'm sure he'd say that he just took the photos "as is".  I decided to whiten the background for some of Ron's photos, remove the coloured background for others, and do minimal  changes for the rest.  When someone has excellent-quality photos, it always makes my job easier  and faster with writing a post. Also, Ron took the great opportunity that ebay offers and presented the maximum number of 12 photos.












My 2 favourite photos are the last 2. The low camera angle  is a photography effect that adds "strength" to a person in a portrait, because the viewer is "looking up" at the person. The effect also works for a toy. The wider-angle effect, the mostly-white background and foundation (what the toy is resting on, and the low-camera angle all help to present this toy at it's best .

I'll be presenting more Lincoln toys as I find them. However, if you happen to have some that I haven't presented, by all means please write to me with your photos, and I'll gladly add them to a post. Just sent photos as JPEG's and at least 4" x 6" @ 300 dpi ( 100mm x 150mm).


Thanks for dropping by,
and have a great part of the day or night,
wherever you may be.
Stacey
toysearcher@gmail.com






No comments: