Friday, May 11, 2012

A Kingsbury 1934 Ford Coupe

Friday, May 11, 2012


A Kingsbury Ford Coup
Circa 1930's

     I had seen the Kingsbury cars on E-Bay, but as usual, there were priced more than what I was willing to spend. So, I waited, and had my eyes on this one. It didn't sell twice, so I made an offer to the seller, and lo and behold, I was able to purchase it.

     The toy measures 11" (L) x 4 3/4" (W) x 4" H) or 280mm x 115mm x100mm. Now this is a toy one can put both your hands on. Surprisingly, it seemed very light for its size, but when I weighted it, it weighted in at 1 pound and 3 ounces or 537 grams.

     Unfortunately, like all of the other great American toy manufacturers, the Kingsbury toy company stopped production. However, the good news is that the company is still exists and in still in New Hampshire.

     The toy has a wind-up mechanism, but the "brake" to hold the tension in place has long ago broken off. The reason I know this is that there currently is another one on E-Bay with the brake in place. Thankfully, T-BO33, an E-Bayer's ID, allowed me to use his/her photos.

    So for today, here is a beautiful Kingsbury Ford 1934 Coupe made of pressed steel.







   The back of the car appeared to be missing a bumper.
However, this turned out to not be so.
I had contacted an E-Bayer who said that this particular Kingsbury had no rear bumpber, but had a small hole for a trailer.

T-BO33, an E-Bayer's ID again allowed me to use his/her photos to verify that.
(Please see below)




 The Wind-up Mechanism (the brake is missing)




The 3-position front wheels position adjuster

The 2 photos below were created with the "Painting with Light" technique.
I used 2 lights to light the car and the background. Then in complete darkness, I took a small Maglite flashlight with a fiber-optic attachment, and moved the light all over the car.

I've you're interested about this technique, please visit my other blog:

prophotolearning.blogspot.com



I personally like this technique, as  you can create more of a 3D (3 dimension) effect.
However, this technique is not as popular as it once was.
Currently the lighting "de riguer" (In fashion) is flat, washed-out highlights, and blah!

So thanks for dropping by, 
and have a pleasant weekend wherever you may be.




No comments: