Monday, May 28, 2012

An Old Cast Iron Airplane?

Wednesday, May 28, 2012

An Old Cast Iron Airplane?

     I always wanted to purchase one of these small cast iron planes, so I finally did so a few weeks ago.
I'm not sure if it's "old", and I'll give you my "suspicions" later.

                The toy measures 4 1/2" (L) x 4" (W) x 1 5/8" (H) and weighs 7.5 ounces.
              In metric, the toy measures114mm x 102mm x43mm and weights 215 grams.

    Many of the these real toys are modelled after Charles Lindbergh's airplane, "The Spirit of St.Louis". You may see see the word s "Lucky" or "Lindy" on the top of the wing.


One of the reasons I suspect that this toy is a "reproduction" is that there are grind marks on the right wheel (left as you view the photo).
I could be wrong, but most old "authentic" cast iron toys did not have these marks. The casting or mould was well-made by craftsmen and any grinding marks to me say
 Made in China or India.

More  grinding marks just next to the pilot's cockpit.





The ends of the axle are cut rather than hammered with a peen hammer and flattened.
Also (Although I don;t have a photo), the axle has a groove it in, whereas authentic axles were solid.

The wheels seem to have a seam running around their circumference.
On authentic toys, you usually don;t see this.

So, that's it for today- short and sweet.

Have a great morning, afternoon or evening wherever you may be reading this.





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have one of these as well, but I believe mine is authentic. Any idea what it would be worth?

Tracy

toysearcher said...

Hi Tracy,

I need more information. I searched on Liveauctioneers, and found toys similar to mine. I found some A.C.Williams with UX166 on them,but they also made 2 other models.

If you don't contact me with photos and size dimensions, do a search on Liveauctioneers.

Thanks for writing,

Stacey Bindman
Blog writer

Unknown said...

so what was it worth I have one yet dont know if its real

Anonymous said...

How much are the originals worth it