Wednesday, April 18, 2012

A Nice 1930's Hubley Cast Iron Stake Truck

Friday, April 19, 2011


A Nice 1940's Hubley
Cast Iron Stake Truck

     I was fortunate to see another identical Hubley cast iron truck on the same day that I bid and won this item. I didn't spend a ;lot of money on this item and the other identical item was in much better shape and sold for about $ 180.00 US. plus shipping

    At this point, I think I'm going to restore this item. On my regular jaunts (trips) to Dunkin' Donuts in the morning, I talk to the people who are "regulars"there. One of these people is Steve who happens to work for a company that refurbishes locomotives (the real BIG ones!). When I found out what he does, I asked him if he has a sandblasting machine at his factory, and he said yes. I then filed that info in my brain, and when this item came to my house today, I left a message for Steve. I'll have to phone him back and arrange for this Hubley to be sandblasted.

    It's a nice toy from the 1940's but as you can see it has a small piece missing from the right rear stake and it also has lots of rust. For today's instalment, I'm just presenting everyone with the photos of this Hubley.
The toy measures 7" (L) x 2 3/8" (W) x 2 3/8" (H)
(178mm x 60mm x 60mm)




Now that's Rust!


This is a great item to photograph.

I wanted to creat a nice shadow of the stakes (the slats on the vertical rear sides).

Here's a wider-angle view of the truck.

You'd think that after 1 1/2 year of photographing these old toys that I would get tired (bored)! 
So far that hasn't happened,  but sales are slowing down at this time, just like last year!

That's it for today.

So I bid everyone a good morning,
 afternoon or evening wherever you may be, and thanks for dropping by to read my blog.



3 comments:

Troy said...

Are you going to restore it ? I have an old cast iron piece that has a missing leg. I have wondered if there was a way to replace it.

toysearcher said...

Hi Troy,

Thanks for reading my blog.

Yes, I'm going to restore this item. First I'm going to have someone I met, sandblast the old paint and rust from the truck.

I'm going to use Lepage's Epoxy Steel as a filler instead of a glue. I'll overfill the hole to form the missing span of metal and let the glue dry and harden. I'll then use my high-speed Dremel machine (with a carbide tip) to form back the metal span. THen I'll use an auto-body primer on the truck, followed by a few layers of spray paint.

As for your item, the size of the missing leg is a factor. You didn't mention the size of the item, so I don;t know if the about procedure would work. If the item is small it will. The only problem with the Lepage Epoxy Steel is that it runs. I'll either have to build up the missing area in layers, or figure out a way to form the glue.

Have a nice day,

Stacey

Thanks,

Troy said...

If you look at the Arcade collection on my blog at: http://tulsatinystuff.blogspot.com/2010/01/my-arcade-collection.html

The green night stand is missing a leg on the back side and also the bathtub has a crack that I have been wondering about repairing.

my email is tulsatinystuff@gmail.com

Any help or advice would be appreciated -Troy