Monday, February 19, 2024

It's Always Great to Discover Something New

Monday, February 19, 2024
Clear and sunny skies
-11° Celsius / 12° Fahrenheit

It's Always Great to Discover Something New

I'd like to begin by mentioning the weather. The weather this year, up here in Montreal Quebec,Canada, and many parts of the world has been very odd. In Montreal, the summer weather was "scattered", with cold and rain, and some warm days with no rain. Then winter came along, and we've had rain, snow, warm and cold. 

I think it must be my age when I mention the cold.
 
I'm a "senior" up here in Canada, and  cold weather seems to be very cold for me. 
A measly (meager, paltry, scant) temperature of -6° C (21.2° F), makes my toes cold, my nose red, and overall, I'm shivering!

Oops, please excuse me, I deviated from writing this post!

I was searching Bertoia Auctions, one of the fine toy auctioneers in the USA, when I saw this fantastic metal assembled seaplane. It most certainly looked like a British Meccano assembly. However, when I read the description, I was wonderfully surprised, and I instantly knew what today's post would be about.

Bertoia Auctions had described the airplane as an "Enormous Märklin Erector Seaplane", which caught me off-guard. The assembled airplane looked most recognizable as having been assembled from a Meccano set, but I know that Bertoia Auctions were 1000% correct, and I would describe this fantastic airplane (49" / 124.46 cm) wingspan from Bertoia Auctions description.









What Happened?


"In 1908, the English metal construction set Meccano appeared on the German market. In 1912 a German Meccano subsidiary for trading was established in Berlin. With the begin of World War I in August 1914 this German Meccano office, was considered enemy's property and therefore subdued to compulsory German administration. On 15th August 1917 the Märklin company acquired the stocks, protective rights and Meccano trademark from the German Reich government.[1]
Märklin sold the Meccano sets until June 1919 still under the name Meccano.[2] Then, from 25th June 1919 onward, they only used the name Metallbaukasten Märklin.[3]"

I'll have to do more research to see find out what happened after WWI was over and Germany surrendered. I'm sure there were war reparations, mandates, and restoration of the ownership and licensing of the Meccano brand. 

I'll see what I can find out, so that I'll be able to write what happened to 
the use of the Meccano license in Germany, compared with what Germany did with "the enemy's property" during WWI.


Have a great part of the day or night, wherever you may be and
please feel free to write me at 

toysearcher@gmail.com

My name is (Mr.) Stacey Bindman




 


















 


No comments: