Friday, October 18, 2013

A Reader Asks for Help with a Find

Saturday, October 19, 2013

A Reader  Asks for Help With a Find

   A few days ago, a reader sent me today's photos and asked if I could help him identify the toy. I'm not an expert at all, but I informed him that I would try and gather some material to answer his question. His name is Mr. John McCoy from Warwick, Rhode Island (USA). I studied pro photography in Providence, and although the State is one of the smallest, it makes up for its size with exceptionally nice people and a much varied landscape.

Mr. John McCoy
(Providence, Rhode Island, USA)

I couldn't identify the maker of the cast iron toy, and asked John to send me any identifying marks or the manufacturer's if there are any.  I did find at least 5 similar items and all were not valuable. However, as a memento from John's relative, this item would be nice to keep. After searching for a similar item, I came to the conclusion that this particular toy is not necessarily valuable for several reasons. 

1. Compared with some of the other similar toys that I did fins, the mold (casting) did not retain
   good detail such as in the side lanterns or on the lady. This could be from how the original casting 
  and details were made.

2. The texture of the toy is rough in places. 

3. I asked John whether the white horses were rusted or was that a yellow finish that was added. On "fakes" (reproductions), the makers will add this yellowing to give the "illusion" that the toy is old.

4. The toy is broken in 1 place and is missing the broken off part

5. The toy is missing the driver

* As I said earlier, I am by no means an expert, so I also advised John to try to bring this item to an antique toy dealer so he/she could give him a better professional opinion of this toy.






I did mention to John that sometimes "less" detail from a mould or form does not necessarily translate into "fake", hence my advise to seek out a professional antique toy dealer.


You can see the broken part where the front vertical part would be. Also, the finished casting had a rough texture, and the 2 yellow "spots" between the hole are supposed to be lamps.  Once again, my rationale for having said that this item may not be a authentic original "brand" name.  What I just remembered is that not all "reproductions" are modern, and in fact on some occasions, I have read professional antique dealers write about an unmarked "reproduction" being very old, but obviously not worth a lot.

If anyone out there (collector, auctioneer, or dealer) can help us in identifying or providing me with photos, we'd appreciate that.  I couldn't find any similar examples from my regular sources, so I posted this item by itself.  


Thanks for dropping by,
and have a great part of the day or night, wherever you may be.
Stacey
(toysearcher@gmail.com)

No comments: