Saturday, October 27, 2012

Antique Cast Iron Door Stops

Saturday, October 27, 2012
Cloudy - A Storm is Coming


Antique Cast Iron Door Stops

    What's interesting about this area of collecting is that I can't remember  when I was young ever seeing a door stop. I think, when we used to go to Mississquoi Bay in the 1950's there was one in the cottage that we rented, but I can't recall what it was.  

    What's even more interesting for me, is that there are so many door stops still available after all of these years.

    And what's even more amazing to me is my wondering (I think "differently" sometimes) why there were so many doors in the early times that didn't stay open and needed door stops? Larsen, the famous newspaper cartoonist of the 1980's-early 1990's, would have had a field day with cartooning about door stops. I guess the answer from my point of view was that house foundations were not made as good as today.As a result the homes shifted, and  naturally the doors became imbalanced!

    Yesterday, I mentioned that I'd write about this subject, even though it's "off topic" from my regular toys. What attracted me to door stops is the fact that there are so many of them. Every time, I'd be on E-Bay looking for toys from a particular seller, sure enough he/she would have a door stop. I kept that in mind, but never thought much about it. However, since I'm working form other peoples' images, I figured that straying from my normal subject of toys, would not bother anyone.

    So for today, I'm presenting some of the fine examples of photography and door stops that I came across on my latest locale for accessing nice photos and permissions - and of course, their fine listers on their site - icollector


















     As you can see, there certainly is a diverse selection of doorstops. I only selected these fine examples from 1 site, but you can imagine how many door stops and door stop collectors there are out there.

    If you happen to be reading this post today, I'd be curious to know if youactually have "working" door stops in your house. Also how many times have you stubbed your toes onthese helpful aids?


Thanks for dropping by,
and, as usual, have a great day
wherever you my be.

And if you're in the USA, please take care for the upcoming storm. It's been upgraded again to a hurricane called Sandy, and it's going to be very powerful!

Stacey

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The stuff written in the blogs have allured me!!! Wrought iron doors

toysearcher said...

Hello,

Thanks for the comment.
I tried to visit your link, but I got an error message informing me that the address was temporarily unavailable.

Stacey Bindman
Author of this blog