Thursday, July 7, 2011

Studying Your Subject

July 8, 2011


Digital photography has been both a blessing and a curse.  It allows you to see your photo instantly without the cost of processing as film was. The curse part is that most people do not study their images enough to see what is right or wrong. Of course, if you're selling 100's of items on E-Bay you're not necessarily going to "fuss" over each and every image. But with practise, it doesn't take much to train yourself to see and to understand how to light your subject.

I listed this nice vintage cast iron Hubley bus yesterday on E-Bay, and I'll guide you through the steps that I  did to arrive at the final 2 images.

IMAGE 1

This was a "fast shot" to check for exposure.
a. What I immediately noticed was that the wheels were not straight, but crooked.
b. The photo is out-of-focus.
c. I have to frame the image tighter (move in closer or zoom in) to have less empty space.

IMAGE 2

This is better.

a. I framed the object tighter.
b. I straightened the wheels.
c. I focused better.

IMAGE 3

Still even better.

a. I added a small reflector to give a nice shine to the wheels. 
In photographic terms, the bright areas are called "highlights"


IMAGE 4

a. I added another reflector aiming light unto the grill of the bus.
Notice the highlights, as well as more detail that you couldn't see 
in the dark areas called appropriately "shadows".

IMAGE 5

a. I used Photoshop and an instruction called "highlight/shadow.
What this does is make the bright areas "less bright" and the dark areas lighter.
Basically, I'm reducing the contrast.

IMAGE 6

a. I decided to lower the camera height. The image now is more appealing from the lower level. The reason is that it appears better proportioned, rather than having been "flattened" from the high camera angle.
b. Notice however, that I forgot to straighten the crooked rear wheel!

IMAGE 7

This was the left side of the bus.

a. I angled the reflector better, to get the nice "highlight" on the side.
b. The camera height is again slightly lower.

I don't have the space  for what I'll mention now, but there is something that you can do called "tethering". The term tethering means that you can attach a wire from your camera to your computer. What this does with the appropriate software (see your camera instructions) is allow you to see an enlarged image on your computer screen. That will show you the finer detail that you just can;t see in the 3" rectangle of your camera.

Total time:  10 minutes

Some Notes:

1. I taught pro photography 
2. I enjoy the discipline of tabletop photography
3. I'm starting to get "annoyed" at the number of my photos that I have on Picasa and Flickr that are being used without my consent on the Net that have searchers looking for toys come upon my photo as a"lead" for further perusal.
I guess I should be flattered,but I'm not. Also, it's somewhat of a "chore" to send e-mails asking that my images be taken off the site, or monetary compensation and credit be given to me.









No comments: