Wednesday, July 20, 2011

A Guest Contributor - Mr. Jim Bruno

July 20, 2011
A Guest Contributor
Mr. Jim Bruno

I'm always looking for sources of inspiration for my next blog instalment, and today, I have the privilege of presenting Mr. Jim Bruno. He's an electrician by profession, but like many vintage toy people, he has an enamoured interest in old toys. I met Jim on E-Bay where I purchase 1 of his nice toys. His ID is JBruno49

I'll let Jim speak for himself:

"I stated building models with my father at the tender age of 5.  He built wooden airplanes as there were no plastic kits at that time.  So, when plastic became more of the modeling media he started doing that as well.  He always told me to follow the directions and if I was good at putting models together, I could follow directions and do anything.  He was sure correct.  I built models although grade school, high school(, when I wasn’t out on a date), all through 4years of the USAF, and I would always find time during my married life.  My wife Barb is both  a supporter  and critic of my work.   She doesn’t pull any punches either.  I’m father of three, step-father of 5, and grandfather of 12.  Two of the grandsons are showing interest in the hobby and I encourage them always and work on projects together.  I see modeling as an art form.  I try to get as much realism as possible.  I enjoy what I do as it’s relaxing,  educational, and very rewarding."


Tootsietoy
1923 Buick Coupe - Restored



 Tootsietoy
1921 Ford Yellow Cab - Restored


Dinky 1950's Austin Wagon Restored

The above 3 illustrate the quality of work that Jim does. His work is researched, and very clean when the item has been restored and repainted.


A fabulously-restored Hubley Tow Truck

Several of the parts were hand-made from Jim's experience as an electrician.
This Hubley sure shows nicely!

"Well Stacey, the searchlight was made from ½” conduit cap, small screw and two rocket launcher covers.  I drilled a small hole through white plastic bottom one and up through the chrome plated one, inserted the screw through both and into the cap.  Primed it gray and painted it with chrome.  Attached to truck with super glue or it could be attached using a big screw with nut and washer.  The boom is made from file cabinet folders hangers cut and bent to proper angle, then add machine screw and lock nut.  Attach the boom to the truck "



 Hubley 1951 Ford Fire Truck
Repainted and Fabricated Ladders

Another View
 Hubley 1951 Ford Fire Truck
Repainted and Fabricated Ladders

Not all of Jim's attention goes to cars and trucks. As well, he has a keen interest in historic model airplanes 



K5 1940 International Open Stake Truck - Side Restored





You can see the attention to detail and painstaking work that go into both restorations and kit models.
I especially like the Shell decal on the side of the truck!

As well,  Jim has a keen interest in historic model airplanes.


1/72 Scale Italian SM-71 Bomber


1/90 Scale Old Aurora Fokker
D-VII Modelled after WWI Ace Lt. Bruno Lorzer


Detailed Interior


Another View of the Cockpit


Detail of the Mercedes Engine


"One of my wooden ships - wooden kit.
I built it 3 1/2 years ago.
It did not come with sails, so I made some."


2 Beautifully-built model kits



You can see the inventiveness and enthusiasm that Jim has  in terms of creating items or parts when they are  missing!

Finally, here are some more items that Jim has collected.
I certainly wasn't expecting these when I asked Jim to send me some of his images for this article. They certainly show his broad-based interest in toys.


Martian from the 1950's movie
War of the Worlds


Ed "Big Daddy Roth's" 
Rat FInk


Robbie the Robot from
Forbidden Planet


Martian Space Ship


Aurora 
Forgotten Prisoner

I want to thank Mr. Jim Bruno for having shared his ardor and interest in toys, as well as having taken the time in his busy life to send me today's material!

If anyone out there would like to share their  interests in toys, by all means please send me a note at majortrout@gmail.com. I will be very happy to share your interests with whomever reads visits this blog.

Thanks,
(Mr.) Stacey Bindman






No comments: