Friday, November 24, 2023

A Few Suffragate Toys

Friday, November 24, 2023
Cloudy and Cold
-6 Celsius / 21.2 Fahrenheit 

 

 Some Suffragette Toys

    The Suffragette movement was a movement in the early 20th century that related to women who wanted the right to vote. At the time, women were not allowed to vote. The first country to allow women to vote was New Zealand. That was in 1893. Eventually many women in countries worldwide started to march, protest, and pressure legislatures to allow women to vote. The USA Congress passed legislation on June 4, 1919. On August 18, 1920, the legislation was ratified, and the 19th amendment was ratified, granting women in America to vote.

    I was searching the Internet for a topic to write about today, and decided to search out Althof Bergman Bell Toys. I came across one website, and lo and behold, there were several of their toys described as "Patriotic Suffragette toys".

   Whoa!   Did I just read that? That toys were made to honour women who  fought for the right to be allowed to vote? And that's how today's post evolved!  I was euphoric, and I learned a great history lesson!! 













       Most of the Althof Bergmann Suffragette toys were made in the 1870's. There are a few more that were made at the time, and when I have more time, I will look for them.

So thanks for dropping by,
And as always,
have a great part of the day or night,
wherever you may be.

I can always be reached at:
toysearcher@gmail.com

My name is (Mr.) Stacey Bindman,
and you are always welcome 
to send questions, or even send me photos of your
special toys, that you might want me to write a post.

















   


No comments: