Friday, June 24, 2011

Vintage Old Metal Toy Airplanes

June 24, 2011

Today's entry has to do with most of the airplanes that I've bought and sold.

Initially I started with Hubley, then Wyandotte, then Marx, then Tootsietoy.

Most of the item, you'll have to accept the fact that parts of a plane will be missing its' parts.
The positive aspect of this is that you may be able to purchase the listed item for less. 

I usually add missing parts from purchases from Thomas Antique Toys or Classic Tin Toys.

On certain days, you can even purchase parts from other E-Bayers who are not stores.

As the toy market was bottoming out to its' poorest performance,
 I ended up selling parts for more than the plane! Go figure!

Hubley Airplane

Hubley P-38

The Hubley P-38 was manufactured in the late 1950's-early 60's.
 It was Based on the famous Lockheed P-38 that saw action in the Pacific war.

The P-38 is very popular and sells well on E-Bay under normal conditions.

Wyandotte China Clipper

Another popular toy airplane is the Wyandotte China Clipper. 
The China Clipper was a Pan Am domestic airplane that crossed the Pacific from San Francisco to Hawaii and further West.

Hubley Kiddie

Wyandotte Missing a Vertical Tail

Marx Missing Propellers

2 Wyandottes - Front Plane has Wood Wheel

 Assorted Tootsietoy Airplanes

These airplanes are very small, as you can see from the penny placed in the photo.


Robert Dooley said...

Can you tell me where I can get a Canopy and Landing Gear for the Hubley 495. I have one in the box new with no canopy and one of the metal landing gears are bent and I am afraid to bend the white metal back in shape. I had the plane as a kid found this one and would like to make it 100%. Thanks your site is very cool! Please contact me at

toysearcher said...

Hello Robert,

Thanks for dropping by.

You can find replacement parts at:

Please check to see if the links above are the correct page for your missing parts.

Both companies and their owners are fine people who I have written about and personally purchased parts from them.

If you're a old or antique toy collector, and send me good-quality photos of at least 4" x 6" 300dpi JPEG's, I'll write a post about you. Also, you should send a mini-bio with some of your architectural photos or plans to also present.

Stacey Bindman