Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Some of the Hubley Tractors and Bulldozers

March 23, 2011


The Hubley farm tractors and bulldozers are probably not as "collectable" as some of the other Hubley toys. However, having bought and sold them, I would like to guess that they certainly have been some of the more "played-with" toys.

Most of the times, the rubber tracks are missing or the blade holders on the side are broken. However, what I like the best is the "dirt" or farm soil that still is stuck on the machine body, the tracks, and the grooves of the wheels. I even tried to remove some dirt from a set of tractor wheels, and it seemed to be permanently stuck on.

The above bulldozer was the first toy that I "restored"
You're not supposed to re-paint old toys and remove the rust, but I did, having figuring that I would make more doing so.
I didn't make much on the bulldozer above, but I was very happy that someone purchased it. They even said that I did a very good job!


What I like about the Hubley tracotor is that the company remained "true" to that springy seat.

Another characteristic that I like about the tractors and bulldozers is the raised detail on the engine, as well as the detail on the silver-sided glides for the tracks.

You can especially see how much "spring" there is in this seat due to how high the seat is elevated.
Notice the dirt that is still stuck to the tires. I tired to remove this with my dental Water-Pic, but didn;t get much results.

This bulldozer was the last one that I purchased for this article and will re-sell.
It's in great shape for being about 50 years old.
I like to guess and think about how a toy so old had remained in such good shape.



3 comments:

Emory said...

Thanks for the great pictures of this hubley antique tractor, i was bidding on a bulk lot of antique toys on ebay and was able to identify a few of these tractors in the box and got the auction for a steal.

My Antique Toy Blog

I have a column on this antiqu blog. I have used your site a few times now to help identify fakes before bidding. Thanks a ton for saving me some cash!
Emory

toysearcher said...

Hi Emory,

Thanks for reading my blog and adding a comment.
Sorry about getting back to you so late.Commenters are so infrequent, that I hardly look to see, especially when I have to scan 4 pages of post titles.

If you ever return here, send me column address and I'll have a look.
I'm always searching for new ideas for a post.

Stacey

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.