Thursday, June 8, 2023

 Thursday, June 8, 2023 
 Clear skies and Sunny
 16° C  / 61° 

                                 All Toy Bulldozers are Not  Created Equal

             Early in the week, I received an interesting e-mail. Rich McGill (interestingly, Rich's family name is the same as the world famous university by the same name - McGill University. The University was founded on March 23, 1821. 

             Rich had sent me several photos of a pressed steel (with rubber tires) grader toy. It looked like most of the graders manufactured from the 1950's-1970's. It even had rubber tires manufactured by Wyandotte. However, Rich was 100% sure, that this grader was not ever made by Wyandotte. Rich asked me if I could find out who the manufacture really was.
 
            I did my "usual thing" and wrote back to Rich to ask for photos. I guess I erred by forgetting to ask him for photos of a certain size, because the photos that he sent were too small. Rich was very nice, and didn't say anything about my "error". He obligingly resent me a magnificent set of large photos. The files were so big that I had to reduce the size of my screen 5 steps smaller in order to see the whole toy on the screen.

            The photos were of excellent quality, and I didn't have to retouch them much. 
Mostly, all I had to do is add the credit, copyright, and a "do not copy without the owner's permission" on each and every photo.

                                Below are the great photos that were sent to me.

                                                                    





                                                           6 3/4"  = 17.145 cm

What is interesting in the above photo is the top of the 
work area, where the grader operator would sit.
The windows are interestingly curved and the frontmost left part of
the window is angled.

Almost all toy graders from that era were straight-lined and vertical with a 90° angle.
                                                             6 1/4"  =  15.875 cm
19"  =  48.26 cm

    
                        Rick is firmly convinced that the Wyandotte rubber  wheels 
                      were put on this grader after the original wheels were removed.



This is another great photo of the cabin and it's curved windows!




So that's it for today.

So to all of you who manage to read this post:
Would you please do Rich and I a favour (Canadian spelling - eh!), and see if you
can find out who actually manufactured this grader that is in great condition.

As always, thanks for dropping by,
and have a great part of the day or night, 
wherever you may be.

I can always be reached at:

toysearcher@gmail.com

and

my name is (Mr.) Stacey Bindman
(call me Stacey....)




                               


No comments: