Friday, June 15, 2012

An Almost New Hubley P-38 Lightning

Saturday, June 16, 2012


An Almost-New Hubley
P-38 Lightning

     Today's post is about an almost-new Hubley P-38 Lightning. The "real" P-38nLightning was produced towards the end of WWII and saw high success in the Pacific, where the America was fighting the Japanese.

     The Hubley P-38 was produced at the start of the 1960's, when I was 12 years old. I'm sure there were Hubleys up here in Montreal (Quebec, Canada) but I never saw them. In those days, my parents worked their butts off, and we hardly went anywhere. in the working season.   In the summer, my parents were off for a month and we went to the country.

    The P-38 is one of my favourite toys, although it's only 50 years old! I like reading about WWII, and I like this particular toy airplane design. It was simply done with 2 cast metal (aluminum) parts, 2 propellers, 3 landing gear mechanisms with rubber wheels,and 5 screws. Ir was simple to assemble on the assembly line, and fast as well.

    It would be interesting to find out how mny of these toys were actually made, but that's probably impossible ti find.


  IYou can see the metallic lustre or shine on the inside of  surface of this part.
I don't think that this toy was ever taken apart, nor needed to!




  Look at the condition of the parts.
They're almost unused!


  I was so excited to win this item on E-Bay, that I forgot that it had damage.
In the above photo, you can see a small crack between the tail, and the fuselage.


  The opalescent liquid square is Lepage's Epoxy Steel (glue).
That is the best glue (Epoxy) that I have ever found!
  I left the # 15, because I think it was an assembly number.
There also is a corresponding # 15 on the red piece (on the inside).


That's all for today.
I hope that you're enjoying your day off today, and have  a nice day, wherever you may be.




2 comments:

Nicefinds81@gmail.com said...

Thanks for the info. Got a Hubleu P38 @ a auction this past wkend. Saw it on the table and had to get it. Its rough. The original paint is all chipped n landing gears are missing but for $10 it was mine. Any help in finding the landing gears,(need all 3) would be greatly appreciated. Man I love the toys from that era!

toysearcher said...

July 18, 2012

Hello who,ever you are.
Thanks for dropping by to read my blog.

As for toy parts, Thomas is one of the best resources around for old toy parts.

They have a huge inventory of all kinds of toy parts, and they're excellent at communicating,
packing, and shipping your items.

Here's the address below:

http://www.thomastoysantiquetoyparts.com/

(Mr.) Stacey Bindman