Monday, November 7, 2011

The Hubley Steamrollers

Monday, November 7, 2011

Special Notice:

      I'm going to hit the 5000 page readership milestone this week, so I'd like to thank everyone who has ventured to my site. I started in January of this year, and lately I've had a consistent page viewing rate of about 30-40 page viewers to date.  So thank you all for keeping me going, even though right now, I'm not buying much , as the US economy is poor, and it's hard to sell. So new articles are fewer and interspersed throughout the month, rather than daily.

    If anyone has lots of old toys, and can photograph them, then I will gladly have you appear on my Blog as a guest. I'd also ask that you write up a short biography of yourself, and some anecdotes (stories) about your toys and yourself.


The Hubley Steamrollers
    I started to buy and sell toys about the middle of 2010. In the beginning, I purchased mostly what interested me, and the Hubley Steamrollers caught my eye. They're not the rarest or old, but they look great! They're also bigger than most toys 8" (L) x 4" (W) x 4"(H) or 20cm x10cm x10cm. Personally, I like larger-sized toys like the Doepke Sand Movers or the very small 4"long (10cm ) Tootsietoy Grahams.

 The Hubley Steamrollers were made in the early 1950's, and there are 3 of them. They're die cast mostly except for the double-roller one that has wood rollers. Hubley called them "road rollers".


3 Beautiful Hubley Road Rollers as Hubley called Them


     The 3 Hubley steam rollers are the floral-pattern wheels (solid), the floral-pattern punched out, and the 2 front-wheeler made from wood.

A Close-up view  showing the steering handle.
The front wheels turn as you turn the vertical handle.


The wire shaft that goes to the wheels from the vertical steering handle.
Also, notice the wooden rollers.

A Left View

A Right View


A Left View of the Punched-Out Floral Roller Design


The Right View

The Underside


  Apology:I had to remove the scanned photos of the Hubleys that I had placed up. The company denied me permission to use their photos here.








No comments: