Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Hubley's Cast Iron Motorcycles

Wednesday, October 6, 2011


Hubley's Cast Iron Motorcycles

     I've been running out of toy photo to use for my next post. The reason, for myself at least, is that  toy-buying is very slow. So I've focused on selling whatever I have in my inventory, and then I'll start to buy again. 

I had an idea, which I'm applying today for this post. The idea was to ask E-Bay and Internet merchants if I would be able to use their photos to write an article.  I've found that almost all of   the people I've contacted on the Net or E-Bay have been very helpful. And so it is with this post. I asked 4 people if I might use their photos, with of course giving credits where credits are due, and 3 of the 4 said yes. I'm waiting for the fourth to reply. 

Today's post is about Hubley's Cast Iron Motorcycles. I'm going to add to this post later, but I didn't want to delay writing this post. I have a small but select group of loyal readers and  I want to keep you reading. I've always had my eye on these motorcycles, but for now they're out of my budget range, although some are lower priced than others.

From what I can gather, in 1931, Hubley seemed to have made deals with Harley-Davidson and the Champion Motorcycle companies for exclusive rights to make cast iron replicas of their motorcycles. They also made similar deals for other items. There is a range of different sizes to these motorcycles going up to a huge 11 1/2 inch model.

I'm going to post the nice photos that I was able to gather from 3 nice gentlemen, and I'll add new text when I do more research. So without further adieu, I present to you the nice photos of a truly fascinating category of Hubley toy history.

Photo Courtesy of E. Lewis

 http://realpriceguides.com/default.htm 

Go to the site

(please note that I will be working to add a functional link that by clicking will get you to these nice peoples's sites - it's a matter of being able to properly write the HTML code).

**The above prices were posted for prices from the 2007-2009 period.
Prices for the Hubley motorcycles have risen since then.



Photo Courtesy of E. Lewis

Photo Courtesy of E. LewisPhoto 


Photo Courtesy of E. Lewis

Photo Courtesy of E. Lewis

Photo Courtesy of E. Lewis

Photo Courtesy of E. Lewis

Photo Courtesy of E. Lewis

Photo Courtesy of E. Lewis

Photo Courtesy of E. Lewis





Photo Courtesy of E. Lewis
http://realpriceguides.com/default.htm 




What's interesting about Ervin Lewis' photos is that he has photographed these motorcycles whenever he has gone to an antique toy show or other antique show! 


As you can see, these motorcycles, comes in many styles and colours. Some have black rubber tires, and others white rubber or steel tires. What I like about cast irom toys is their feel in your hands. They have substantial mass (weight) and their firm and cold. 



The photos below are from Dakota Paul.
They're for sale, and he's done a nice job photographing then.
I just did a some minor adjustments to have them stand out more against the white background.








Go to the site




What I find interesting is how these toys have been able to be kept and passed on over the years.
I think cast iron is more durable than die cast. I've personally found that , on occasion the metal pour from die cast toys has had impurities in it, This had led to deterioration and fragility of the toy over years. I've had some toys arrive literally in pieces!






http://stores.ebay.com/OpAmerica-Toy-and-Bank-Museum

Go to the site

















2 comments:

Slade said...

I have an original cast iron toy that resembles these motorcycles. I got it from my grandpa and he got it when he was a kid. That would have been when they first came out. If I were to get a picture of it to you, would you be able to estimate the value of it.

toysearcher said...

Hi Slade,

I don't know much about the value of these items.
Send me the photo anyway, and I'll check for you.
A good idea is to go to E-Bay and look for a similar item.
Also, do an "advanced search" on E-Bay for finished auctions.
That twill inform you what sold or not, as well as the price asked (if unsold) and the priced received (sold).

My E-Mail address is majortrout@hotmail.som

(Mr.) Stacey Bindman