Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Hubley Tow Trucks or Wreckers

February 11, 2011


When I started to enter the world of antique toys, I would buy toys in need of dire repairs. They were inexpensive, and I  figured, that buying the missing parts, and then removing old  paint, and re-painting, would let me receive a small profit.  Well, it didn't quite work out that way. Parts are expensive, and by the time toy pay for parts,shipping, and paint, sandpaper, Dremel wire brush heads, and other items, you don't end up with much profit.

Plan "B" was to buy toys that were in demand, had all of their parts, but did not necessarily fetch a high price. Eventually, I narrowed down the search to the Hubley tow trucks or wreckers as they are sometimes called. The one that I'll present in this installment of my blog is the Hubley model # 452. It measures about 6" (L) x 2" (W) x 2.5" (H). They mostly come in red, and there are plenty of them around. Also, if you don't set the restored price too high, you will sell them.




As you can see, the truck looks bad,but not as bad as it looks!
All the parts are intact, and the main concern is oxidation of the grey metallic parts.
What I did was use the high-speed Dremel with several wire brush attachments, and brushed the corrosion away. I think that the metal here was aluminum.

Below is the same Hubley truck 452 restored. I'm not 100% satisfied with the results, 
but it's a big improvement on what it once was.









4 comments:

We Love Booker said...

Any idea where I can get a part for an older model Tow truck. This one has a string attached to a hook and the boom that extends out the back is missing. it is marked Hubley kiddie toy 474.

thank you
mward001@san.rr.com

toysearcher said...

Hello,

Thanks for asking me a question and reading my blog.
Next time, please send a photo, so that I can be 100% of what it is that we are discussing, although the Kiddie toy # 474 by Hubley is 99% ID'd correctly.
Luckily, I have bought and sold one of these. You can find an image with the boom below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53763761@N07/page8/

There are 2 places that I usually deal with to purchase toy parts when I need parts for resale of toys:

1. Thomas antique toy parts: Here's the page below, but what I would suggest is sending a photo or even downloading a complete photo of a listing found on E-Bay of your similar item.
http://www.thomastoysantiquetoyparts.com/category.sc?categoryId=167

What you are looking for seems to be on: http://www.thomastoysinc.com/catimages/61.jpg

It's identified on that page 61 as J-35 Hubley Wrecker Boom.

I give you permission to use my photo on Flickr to use to write to Thomas Antique Toys.
The reason is that I just want to be sure that you order the correct part.

2. Classic Tin Toys -
http://store.classictintoy.com/mm5/

I couldn't find a boom, but you can write to them and see if they carry such an item in their inventory.

I hope that this helps, and if you need any more info, by all means please write again.

Stacey Bindman

Anonymous said...

I have an orange model 542 with a no 1 inside the cab....can you tell me what it is worth? Txt me 19706304410

toysearcher said...

Hello Anonymous,

Thanks for reading and asking a question.
Unfortunately, I don't own a cell phone, so I can't text you.

These Hubley trucks are not that valuable. They can be purchased used on E-Bay for between $ 10.00 -
$35.00. The price variation of course depends on the condition of the toy, as well as the season when the toy is offered for sale (e.g. E-Bay). Fall and winter have more bidders since the weather has people more indoors, compared with the spring and summer.

For a quick estimate, just go to E-Bay and enter the term of the term your looking for both in the current and past auctions.

Stacey